Since its beginning in 1980, Gainesville Presbyterian Church has been a part of the PCA.
PCA stands for the Presbyterian Church in America, the second largest presbyterian church body in America. It has over 1800 churches and missions throughout the USA and Canada, including many here in northern Virginia. There are approximately 358,000 members.
The PCA was organized in 1973, when it separated from the mainline presbyterian denomination (now called the PCUSA) out of concern over the long-developing theological liberalism which denied the deity of Jesus Christ and the authority of Scripture. Almost all of the stories you hear about in the news are about the PCUSA, not about the PCA.
The influence of the PCA extends far beyond the walls of the local church. Mission to the World has 519 career missionaries in almost 60 nations of the world, 169 two-year missionaries, and over 6500 short term missionaries. In addition, PCA churches support an additional 690 career missionaries, covering over 130 nations. Further, with more than 100 chaplains in the military, Veterans Administration, prisons, and hospitals, and 45 college and university campus ministers, the Gospel is proclaimed to a rather large audience around the world not reached through usual outreach channels. Because of the emphasis on education, there are many members of the PCA who are teachers and professors at all levels, including a significant number of large universities and theological seminaries.
In this new century, the Presbyterian Church in America continues its commitment to evangelism world-wide and the building up of the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ.
The PCA is headquartered in Lawrenceville, GA. Its website is www.pcanet.org.